Bunions Treatment Adelaide
You may have noticed a bump just down from your big toe and dismissed it as ‘just a bunion’. However, when walking and wearing shoes becomes increasingly painful you realise the bunion is not going anywhere in a hurry. That’s when you need to call Brighton Road Podiatry.
A bunion is the visible proof of some nasty damage happening under the surface. It means the bones in your forefoot are actually under stress, with your big toe being forced inwards towards your other toes. Without fast treatment, the bunion will only get worse and start causing your other toes to crowd, leading to corns, calluses and long-term pain.
What causes bunion pain?
Bunions are formed when there is repetitive pressure put on the big toe. This can occur for several reasons:
- Poor foot biomechanics, such as flat feet, joint hypermobility or weak foot muscles
- Sports, such as dancing, that put increased pressure on the toes
- Rheumatoid arthritis and gout
- Footwear, such as high heels or shoes with a tight/narrow forefoot
Have a Question?
Send us a message and we’ll be in touch with you right away.
How we treat Bunions
In the short term, we recommend you alter your footwear choices to avoid putting undue pressure on the bunion. Ladies, you might need to rethink those flashy high heels! Then therapy will be needed to help realign the big toe and to address any other underlying conditions. Our highly trained podiatrists may suggest:
- Stretching and strengthening therapy
- Wearing a splint or bunion corrector to encourage correct toe alignment
- Custom Orthotics to address biomechanical problems and realign your feet.
- Refer to a specialist for Bunion surgery in severe cases
Bunions are bad news, but the good news is that just down the road the team at Brighton Road Podiatry are ready to get your feet feeling great again.
Call today or book on-line and take your first step towards feeling great again! 08 8298 4166